[pure-silver] Re: Replentishing With New Developer

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:04:46 -0700

What you suggest is given as the recommended method for many modern developers, for instance T-Max RS and Xtol. I think it would work for either D-76 or DK-50 provided the correct amount of developer was replaced. For any replenishment system to work you really should establish the rate of replenishment by sensitometric means but that is over kill for most of the sort of work we do. For photofinishing (does it exist any more?) or motion picture processing it is essential but probably not for small home labs. I think the reason the replenisher formulas have a lot of alkali in them is to compensate for the accumulation of bromide and iodide in the developer. However, while average density and film speed can be held fairly constant the shape of the film curve may change as it does when more restrainer is added. I need to find my copy of Haist's book because I think he deals with this. Its in storage (I think I know where) and I hope the silverfish haven't gotten to it.

On 7/14/2017 7:45 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

When dealing with D-76 or DK-50, is it really urgent that one use the
replentisher chemistry?  Why can't I just use fresh devloper (at the same
dilution) and top up the working developer with, say, 1oz of fresh dev
every use?

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx