[pure-silver] Re: Recommendations for tripod

  • From: "pdesmidt tds.net" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:56:05 -0500

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Weigh your gear - round up to nearest pound - buy any Monfrotto/Bogen legs
> & head combo who's maximum weight capacity matches your gear's maximum
> weight.

I disagree, especially with a poorly balanced load.  Lenses of the length
that he's using magnify vibrations tremendously.  Thus being on the edge of
the manufacturer's suggested settings will not be good enough.  I know this
from experience taking moon pictures with a 1800mm lens.  This is not a
normal photographic application.  It's really astro photography with a
telescope.

The resonant behavior of the entire system is nonetheless more important
than max load rating.  Even some very heavy combinations can ring like a
bell when tapped with a finger.  Whatever you use, putting a sandbag on each
leg will help tremendously, if you can.  If you're on soft ground, sinking
the huge spiked feet of something like a Zone VI Standard (or any surveyor
type tripod) will drastically increase damping of the system.