[pure-silver] Re: Recommendations for tripod

  • From: Janet Cull <janetgcull@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:47:37 -0400

I've got a Manfrotto 3021B Pro with a ball head. I bought it because I thought I needed that with my Hasselblad.

I'll tell you what I *don't* like about it. The clamps on the legs are so stiff they sort of wear my hands out. Once I got the flesh of my finger caught in the clamp and it took a good chunk. Ouch!!! I realize the tension can be adjusted, but when I loosen them at all the legs won't stay up. They collapse on me if I loosen them even a little. Also it's very heavy.

I've never heard any complaints about Manfrotto before. Maybe it's just me. I'm tall and strong enough. My hands are not the strongest, maybe. I am a woman, of course. Maybe it would be great for you, but I wish I'd checked for another option.

Janet

On Jun 20, 2010, at 9:35 AM, Dave Olson wrote:

Ken, You have got a real big question. Frankly I hesitate to suggest anything. This is particularly true in not actually seeing it. For starters I would suggest looking at the big series of Gitzo, class 5 and up. Gitzo makes some awesome 'legs' and I can attest to the smaller classes 2 and 3 with an Arca Swiss ball head. I'm afraid that's all I can say.