[pure-silver] Re: RC paper and fixer questions. Also a sink update

  • From: Dana Myers <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 10:59:08 -0700

On 8/8/2021 10:22 AM, Howard Efner wrote:

Inks are a can of worms! What I have seen is more paper degradation than ink fade. Back in 2006, ran a series of ink jet prints in a sun light aging test - Epson Ultrachrome inks on various papers. Made the print, cut in half and taped one half to a south facing window (uncoated glass so the UV cut-off is about 330 nm) and the other half went into a dark box. About 4 months exposure to New Mexico summer sun. After “aging” compared the two images and there was no significant ink fade but there were color shifts in the base paper. Stored all of the samples in a light tight box and after about 10 years of time, the exposed papers had developed more color compared to the unexposed paper samples. Checked again today (15 years) and the base papers that were exposed to the sun had yellowed compared to the unexposed samples - the question is paper stability rather than ink stability.

Indeed; from what I gather, inkjet paper is very similar to photographic paper
in terms
of fiber vs RC and use of optical brighteners (OBAs). Pigmented (rather than
dye) inks have
proven stable for me, especially the various shades of black (even though
printers will
squirt some color into the blacks, even when producing neutral blacks). (I also
make use
of Epson Ultrachrome).

OBA use seems to be the primary cause of rapid paper yellowing, I admit I've
become
wary of papers that seem unnaturally bright - because they won't stay that way
:-)

Dana  K6JQ