[pure-silver] Re: Product marketing; was agfa film

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:10:48 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Product marketing; was agfa film
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:12:10 -0400

> My only complaint is with the naming of their Neutol developers.  I
> think most people had a difficulty with there being more than one
> product with that name.  Granted that there was an two letter extension
> like WA or NE.  But still confusing nonertheless.  A real marketing
> mistake.  Another example is Fuji, who overuse the name Neopan.  Even
> Adorama seems confused -- the description on their website for Neopan
> 100 SS is really a description of Acros 100.  If the film's name is
> Acros then why does it have to be called Neopan Acros?

That complaint should go to Adorama, not here. It's their mistake.

Following your logic, Eastman Kodak overused "Kodachrome,"
"Ektachrome" and "Kodacolor." How many Ektachromes are there on the
market? And we photographers can be readily confused by WA and NE,
while we talk about VPS, VPL, TX, TXP, TXT, and so on to indicate
films. It's just silly argument.

Neopan is a name Fuji picked when they started making decent b&w
negative emulsions, and this name, together with the number of S to
designate speed, became a common standard in their main market during
1960s. They just don't want to change the Neopan part, nor should they
introduce different name just for small export market. Of course, if
they had different names for different market, someone will complain
about that too. Look at Ilford in 1990s and Canon EOS line, for example.
(Neopan 400 and 1600 actually have different names for export, though.)