[pure-silver] Re: Polaroid to stop film manufacture

  • From: "Bob Rosen" <afterswift@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:11:32 -0800

Sad news but hardly surprising . . .

-Aaron
Hi Everyone,

The irony is that Polaroid is about the closest medium we had for straight
photography.
Sure, there were exotic ways to play around with modifying the image, using
time and temperatures different from the factory specs, but when the film
was used as directed the images were purely photographic.

I used the Pack camera film types. I think 109 was a positive/negative stock
that produced B&W prints and a high quality negative.

I think Polaroid was among the first outfits to offer 35mm negative
scanners. I don't know why they left the field. Polaroid will now market
digital cameras. However, they'll license their patents to any outfit that
wants to continue to make original Polaroid film.

Frankly, I think that the high price of Polaroid film discouraged folks from
buying it. And Pack film wasn't available at most consumer outlets. I hope
Polaroid will rise again.

Bob