[pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:19:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Erlick" <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 12:05 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued

February 22, 2010, from Lloyd Erlick,

six minutes in each bath, so a total of twelve minutes, at normal processing temperature (for me, 21C).

same for film and FB paper. (Not the same batch of fix, though ...)

I don't test prints or fixer, I'm afraid. I never let my fixer come close to exhaustion, I never keep it around more than a few days after mixing it, and for important work I make up fresh fix and change it often. Excuses, excuses.

regards,
--le

If you don't test it how do you know it isn't getting exhausted? In fact, counting up the surface area of the material being fixed is no guranted of complete fixation. There is an assumption about the amount of residual halide in the developerd material. Since the halide remaining is a function of the developed silver it varies with the average density of the images, the denser they are the less halide remains, and, of course, with the amount of halide originally in the emulsion. The best test of fixer condition is to test the fixed out film or paper for residual silver. The familiar sulfide or KRST test is reliable for this. If a two bath system is being used the first one should be discarded when a scrap of film or paper fixed in it shows any stain from either test. The effectiveness of the iodide test depends on the concentration of the iodide test solution. Without knowing how much dissolved silver is indicated when a cloud forms its useless.