[pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:50:35 +0100

        ----- Message d'origine -----
De: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:31:43 -0500
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: Non-acid rapid fixer - continued
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back when I was trying to use F-9 on Kodak Elite Fine Art paper using
 the Ilford short fixing times method, I found that F-9 was just not fast
 enough, though faster than F-6. IIRC, it took about 2 minutes to really
 fix the paper with that, and that was way over the 30 second maximum for
 that method. Since that great paper is no longer available, I have not
 sought a replacement for Kodak Rapid Fix (that I do not use). I have no
 trouble with sulfur dioxide, but perhaps that is because I use F-6 fixer
 instead of F-5.

 ^^-^^ 07:25:01 up 29 days, 8:45, 3 users, load average: 4.67, 4.69, 4.55

I'm not using the Ilford short-fix scheme: with a washaid, there is little to
gain in terms of wash time.

But, after your post, I wanted to try a 1 minute fix time (I doubt the 30
seconds will be enough but should try one day).

As to be close to a worst-case scenario, the fix was already largely used
(iodide test showed a consistent cloudiness), I processed a non-exposed print
(Ilford Multigrade IV fiber), carefully washed the sample and did a test with
the selenium test.

Looks like the F-9-like fixer is still pretty active as the selenium test was
ok ...

Claudio Bonavolta

http://www.bonavolta.ch