[pure-silver] Re: NO ONE ELSE? was NOSTALGIA LANE...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:32:16 -0700

I have a rather large collection of old photography handbooks (some of which I bought new). Many remain valuable if you still engage in wet photography and some, which cover camera technique, apply equally to digital (I prefer to call it electronic) photography. Kodak's series "How to Make Good Pictures" is a very straight forward elementary book aimed mainly at those just above the level of snap-shooters. There were many editions the changes mainly to keep them current with Kodak products of the time. Every manufacturer of photographic materials had some sort of similar book. Some published much more advanced books such as the text books written by Kenneth Meese of Kodak. I also collect photographic materials catalogs when I can find them; Kodak, AGFA, Ansco, Dupont, all published sample books of printing paper. They are quite interesting. Of the ones I have the prints have survived pretty well except for the Dupont book where are badly oxidized. Agfa and Ansco made some very interesting papers although some of the more extreme AGFA surfaces would not be acceptable today. When I began photography seriously in junior highschool, I had a couple of mentors. They advised some special formulas and techniques and it was not until I dropped them in favor of the methods in the Kodak Reference Handbook that I began to get good negatives and prints. Kodak was often denigrated but, in fact, they wanted their customers to get good results and told us how. I wish I had discovered that sooner, it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>