[pure-silver] Re: Liquid Light

  • From: Bill Stephenson <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:04:43 -0400

[catching up after too long away from keyboard]

Many (30-35) years ago, I had a friend who ran a small studio specializing in maritime photography. At least he would *like* to have specialized, but it didn't always pay the bills. So, along with some catalog work, he developed a sideline: a photo of your boat (ship, yacht, rubber raft, etc.) on *anything*. He used what I believe was Liquid Light, and printed on t-shirts, canvas, tote bags, boat pennants, and so on. My favorite of his efforts was one that his wife came up with: a photo of your boat converted to line art via Kodalith then printed on either a fist-sized beach stone (worn smooth) or a much larger smooth stone (to use as a porch ornament). He'd print up a hundred or so paperweight size stones with generic ship and/or maritime images and she'd sell out at every craft fair she went to. At ten bucks a rock, this was a fairly lucrative, if long, evening's work. I still have one that's been exposed to daylight for most of its life and still looks as if someone drew the image yesterday with India ink. So, when you say "nearly anything", you're so right.

-Bill

On Apr 6, 2008, at 1:37 AM, Mark Blackwell wrote:

Liquid Light is an emulsion that can be painted on nearly anything. After that its just like any photographic paper. You could paint it on the stretched canvas (which is what I was going to do) and then just develop it like any other paper. You can use wood, tin, (like a fake tin type) glass which might be fun, or really most anything. There is some brief information on it on the B&H website. Doesn't look like it goes that far though. I think I might have a local source though and IF I am really lucky in a way, it will be on a clearance sale. Picked up an developing tank for a grand sum of $.77 recently.

Are you making your own emulsion? If so Id love to know what you are doing.