[pure-silver] Re: Lens contrast control

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:28:10 -0500

On 05/15/2015 11:13 AM, Dennis wrote:

Hello group.
I am thinking of acquiring a camera with a notoriously contrasty lens. (Fuji
GW 690 type) and my question is this, can the contrast of a lens be
controlled or lessoned (in black and white) through softer film process?
If I have a lower contrast European lens and a higher contrast Japanese lens
can I adjust either to look like the other through film processing?

thanks for the opinions and help
DennisTo unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to
your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you

Yes. You can underdevelop to reduce negative contrast. You will also
typically experience some loss of effective film speed when you do this.

The most complete way to figure out how much underdevelopment you
need and how that affects your film speed is to use a densitometer.
However, you can probably get close enough by reducing development about
20% for every stop of contrast you want to pull in, and expose your
film at 1/3 stop less. This is a guestimate, but it will get you going.