[pure-silver] Re: Lens contrast control

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 12:26:05 -0400

I think a corollary of the third law of thermodynamics says you can destroy
information but you can't create it where it doesn't exist. I.e., you can
make a sharp lens yield less contrasty (with reduced, modified, or
compensating development) or softer (I have used diffusion materials of
varying types: white tulle, black tulle, sheer stocking material, diffusion
filters, petrollium gelly on glass, etc., etc.) but you can't create
sharpness where there is none. Yes, you can process to get sharper grain
that gives the illusion of sharpness but that is something else.
CHEERS!
BOB

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Dennis <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello group.
I am thinking of acquiring a camera with a notoriously contrasty lens.
(Fuji GW 690 type) and my question is this, can the contrast of a lens be
controlled or lessoned (in black and white) through softer film process?
If I have a lower contrast European lens and a higher contrast Japanese
lens can I adjust either to look like the other through film processing?

thanks for the opinions and help
DennisTo unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to
your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you