[pure-silver] Re: "Large format techniques"

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 11:13:40 -0400

        Lest we forget, the image on the ground glass is also *backwards*,
inverted left to right,, not just upside down.  This may not mean much in
this context but it meant a lot to me when I used to shoot fashion catalog
in the 70s and 80s.  We often had to shoot models using 4X5, 120 (Blad), and
35 mm on the same day.  When directing models you give directions from their
perspective, "stage left and right" not "camera left and right".
        When setting up and directing the models while looking through the
ground glass of the 4X5 I had to remember that everything was inverted left
to right as well as upside down.  Then when directing them shooting with the
Blad everything was right side up but inverted left to right.  Then with the
Nikon 35mm, everything was right side up and correct left to right.
        By the end of the day I was "con-FUSE" as we say in Barbados.
*****Another thing for large format: Remember, it isn't jus a matter of
greater sharpness and apparently finer grain in the final print.  It is also
a matter of MUCH finer, more subtle, tonal gradation.
        I just last week finished shooting 8X10 Tri-X (PMK)of chattel houses
for my soon to be published book.  I then used one of my 4X5s and it felt
like I was playing poker (cards) rather than handling film.
        Lastly, I use the Majestic tripod and live by those thumb screws.
Never had a problem.  Love that 'pod!
                CHEERS!
                        BOB