[pure-silver] Re: Iodide in emulsions...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:37:03 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 6:42 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Iodide in emulsions...

--- On Wed, 11/25/09, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Iodide
used to be found mostly in film emulsion but it is now also
found in paper emulsions especially variable contrast
emulsions.

Hi Richard,
Sorry to have to call you on this, but on what basis do you make this claim?

There is to my knowledge, no relatonship between iodide and variable contrast paper emulsions.

Iodide does find some use in paper emulsions, and has for many years in certain products, and, although this fact was not that well known, it was not a really a secret either; it was just present in very small quantities that did not draw much comment.

Where did you get the notion that iodide was in some way related to variable contrast?

I only bring this up in hopes you might actually have a source for that claim.

Ray

I have now forgotten the source but it seems to me to have been a reliable one, possibly Haist's book. I am not sure of the reason but I think sensitivity in the green may have been part of it although color sensitizing is done mostly with dyes. A curious thing is that it used to be recommended that film and paper not be fixed in the same bath, mostly due to the accumulation of iodide from the film. But... adding some iodide to the fixing bath was at one time recommended as a way of accelerating wash rate. In any case, it appears that two bath fixing pretty much obviates this concern.