[pure-silver] Re: Introduction and Sodium fixer question

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 22:36:39 -0800

There is more difference. Modern emulsions, even paper emulsions, contain significant amounts of silver iodide. This is especially true of high speed film. Silver iodide is notoriously difficult to fix out. Ammonium thiosulfate is much more effective for silver iodide. Secondly the bleaching effect is partly the result of the acid in acid fixer. Sodium thiosulfate has the same effect but considerably slower. If a non hardening fixer, which does not need to be acid or is only slightly acid, the bleaching effect does not take place.
In my opinion alkaline fixing baths are not necessary and can cause staining from carried over developer. Thiosulfate of either kind will fix regardless of the pH of the bath. Acid fixer are acid partly so that the hardening agents will be effective and partly to neutralize carried over developer to prevent continuing development in the fixing bath. Staining from carried over developer can be reduced by including enough sulfite in the fixing bath. In acid fixers the sulfite acts to prevent decomposition of the thiosulfate by the acid and also to prevent stainging. Of course, the acid immediately inactivates the developer. An acid stop bath can be used with a non-hardening fixing bath. A non hardening fixing bath can be made much less acid than a hardening bath because there is not hardener to require it. A mild acidity will be sufficient to stop any continuation of developing in the fixer. For that reason a fixing bath containing sulfite in about the same amount as in a acid hardening bath is a good idea, the slight acidity can be achieved with sodium metabisulfite
Note that the pH range that causes electronic binding is anything more acid than the characteristic of the gelatin. No binding takes place near neutral and that is where a buffered sulfite wash aid is targeted. The sulfite is the main ingredient for accelerating washing. It acts as an ion exchange medium for the thiosulfate and fixer reaction products and helps to make incompletely fixed silver complexes soluble. An alkaline bath, say in mild sodium carbonate, will eliminate the electronic binding but does not have the ion exchange property.
Ilford recommended a strong solution of ammonium thiosulfate because it fixed out fast enough to prevent much absorption of the fixer by the fibers of uncoated paper. The problem with the Ilford method is that many papers will not fix out in such a brief time. For those a conventional fixation followed by a sulfite wash aid and a fairly long wash is necessary. Unfortunately, once anything is absorbed by the fibers of uncoated paper it is bound by mechanical forces so continuing washing in running water is about the only way to remove it although some methods of mechanical squeezing have been tried.

On 11/19/2019 5:47 PM, Randy Stewart wrote:

For all practical purposes, the only difference between the two types of fixer is that sodium fixer acts more slowly, and for a given volume, it probably has less capacity. On the other hand, ammonium fixer acts quickly enough that you can start bleaching your film or print if you seriously over fix with it. I have mixed all of my own chemicals from reagents for about 40 years, and I have used both types of fixer. Sodium fixer is simpler chemically and cheap to mix from scratch if you are so inclined. When I started into DIY in the darkroom, the formula for fixer was "throw a handful of sodium thiosulphate in a tray of water". A 10 lb. paper bag of the stuff cost $5.  (not so today!)  The basic difference between fixers is "hardening" versus "non-hardening".  In my distant youth, film emulsions were soft enough that they could be easily stratched if mishandled, so one component of most fixers would harden the emulsion to resist such. In the 1960s, film was improved to not require this treatment, and non-hardening fixers became popular, as they wash out of film or paper much faster. (I like to forget the one hour tray washes of double weight fiber-based prints with continuous running water.)  If you go with a sodium fixer, the best practice is to use two tray baths for prints, usually 5 minutes in the first and 5 minutes in the second. The first bath does most of the chemical work and the 2nd bath insures a more fresh solution for complete results. After the first bath is exhausted, you toss it, move bath #2 up  to #1, and make a fresh #2, and so on. Good luck.