[pure-silver] Re: IPI toner. Silverlock?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:56:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:09 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: IPI toner. Silverlock?

On Sunday 11 September 2005 08:59, Richard Knoppow wrote:

I have A formula but it seems to me that IPI has revised it at least
once. The IPI formula was intended for toning microfilm and to have low
odor and relatively high capacity. The main reason IPI chose to publish a
formula was to avoid being dependent on a commercial products which might
be changed. T-8 will work for both image protection and toning. I will find
and post the IPI formula later today.

Thanks Richard. What's the keeping qualities of mixed T-8?

Nick

For some reason I remembered the forula and method of mixing the IPI toner as being complicated. Perhaps due to the extensive discussion of the toner. The following is what I have.

IPI Polysulfide Toner Concentrate

Solid Liver of Sulfur                     495.0 grams
Deionized water to                          1.0 liter
When mixed add Borax                       20.0 grams

For use do not dilute beyond 1 part concentrate to 25 parts water.

Discard if the mixture developes signs of decomposition such as a strong odor or a scum.

The IPI report does not specify a temperature for toning. T-8 and Kodak Brown Toner are slow at room temperature but this formula may be different, one must experiment.

   For comparison here is Kodak T-8

Kodak Polysulfide Toner T-8
Water                                750.0 ml
Liver of Sulfur                        7.5 grams
Sodium carbonate, monohydrated         2.5 grams
Water to make                          1.0 liter

Use full strength. Time for toning is about 15 to 20 minutes at 68F or about 3 to 4 minutes at 100F.

According to the discussion in the IPI report to the National Institute for the Humanities the concentration of the original concentrate is important in assuring toning of all densities at equal rates. However, Dr. Nishimura, in a personal communication, stated that T-8 worked for image protection as well as color change.
The lower pH of the IPI toner is stated to reduce odor. It is also stated that it produces a higher conversion of silver to silver sulfide than either Kodak Brown Toner or Kodak T-8

It is important that films or papers to be toned by washed enough before toning to remove acid fixer from them. Carried over acid can cause accelerated decomposition of the toner.

The IPI paper does not mention the use of a sulfite clearing and "stop" bath after toning. My experience with KBT and with the combination toner I posted is that if washing is fast after toning the after bath is probably not necessary. However, a rinse in stock strength Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, which is essentially a 10% solution of Sodium sulfite, clears the yellow color nearly instantly. A minute or so in this bath is enough. I have not tried normal strength KHCA (diluted 1:4) but it may work as well.

A final note: Do not use any sulfiding toner in the vicinity of unexposed or undeveloped sensitive material. All produce some Hydrogen sulfide gas (rotten egg odor) which is a prodigious fogging agent.

---