[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:14:36 -0500

> A few days ago I made Ryuji's DS-10 developer. Since I dont have Dimezone
S,
> I added proper amount of Phenidone direct to the working solution (as
Ryuji
> suggested). I developed a few films and noticed, that B+F of the developed
> films (Ilford Pan 400) is pretty high (higher than in any developer I used
> so far in thirty years (Rodinal, HC-110, Microphen, A-49, DS-1, DS-2...).
> don't have densitometer, so all as I can tell is that contacts needed 1/2
> stop more light to produce black on the film edges.
> Is this normal?

It certainly should not be right.  I have used DS10 for some films but use a
modified form of it with Tris buffer instead of TEA and I use phenidone
instead of Dimezone-S also.  My regular developer performs about like DS10
diluted 1+2 (1:3) but my pH is a little higher (8.3) just like Xtol.

My fb+f are quite low with readings of 0.18-0.22 for Fuji films and Pan-F
and 0.28-0.30 D for Tri-X. Tri-X has always had a higher fog level than
other films for me as do the push 3200 products.  Are you sure that the
ingredients are accurate?  Do you have a pH meter?  High fog is usually due
to abnormally high pH and/or reactant concentrations (too much phenidone).
P. Gainer's formulas tend to be foggy because he refuses to use any sulfite
and therefore must raise the pH to compensate for the loss of superaddative
action.

What format are you using, 35mm?  I suspect an error in compounding with the
result of too much activity.

JB