[pure-silver] Re: Good news from Ilford - OK I'll support them ...

  • From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:48:53 -0400

Lloyd,

My principal 120 film for some time has been Delta 400, but I have experimented with Kodak's TMY. My observations:

Delta is a shade faster (no scientific tests here, just an impression).
TMY is slightly sharper.
TMY is easier to handle in the darkroom--at least in my hands.
The tape at the end of the Delta rolls has an annoying tendency to come off inside the camera.

The biggest surprise is that contrary to much of what I had read, TMY is a very attractive film (but you knew this already). It has fine grain (at least in XTOL) and excellent tonality, and I've had no difficutly with the highlights.

Caveats: all these differences are small. I only shoot a few rolls a month (but I do examine my negs VERY closely).

--Ben