[pure-silver] Re: Giving Up On Foam Camera Back Seals

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:40:37 -0700

   I am with Ken Hough in suggesting black yarn. Try it and if its not satisfactory its easily removed. Unfortunately, a lot of foam that worked well at the time rotted into goo. I don't know a really effective solvent for removing it or else good solvents will attack other parts of the camera.

On 7/17/2020 6:55 AM, titrisol (Redacted sender titrisol for DMARC) wrote:

He used to sell pretty good size kits about 10 yrs ago, one kit could fix 3-4 cameras
But then someone was separating and reselling his kits in eBay making a good profit and that pissed him off.

On Monday, July 13, 2020, 6:54:35 PM EDT, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7/13/20 10:57 AM, Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> The light seals I have came (in 2004) from Jon Goodman in Dallas, Texas.
>
> If you use LinkedIn you can find him here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-goodman-a8077643/

Well, that was a great tip and I was able to contact him. Unfortunately,
he does not sell the material, only finished kits.  This doesn't help me much
for the odd and old cameras I fix that are not on his standard kit list.

I understand his reasoning - he doesn't want anyone to go into competitive
business with him, I guess.

I just would LOVE to know what material he uses for compression-only seals.
The rest of the seals on any camera are reasonably easy to install with
self-adhesive foam.  But those film door dust channels are real pain.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL