[pure-silver] Re: Getting Organized

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:10:16 -0500

Do  you have a darkroom on the road?

--shannon

On May 26, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee wrote:

Yes, Shannon, that is what I meant. I might come back from a trip of many months duration with up to 400 negatives. I will deal with all of them before making another trip. There is no backlog of unprinted negatives (except right now, I do have a few (about six) very difficult to print ones from Iceland).

Weston had no darkroom on the road. And on his Guggenheim trip they were rarely away for very long. When they were, he mailed the negatives back to Brett, who developed them. I cannot imagine anyone ever developing my negatives for me, But I guess he taught Brett how to do it and obviously he was confident in Brett's abilities. Still, when developing film by inspection, there are judgements to make, and no two people will make the exact same decisions.

Michael A. Smith

 > Next: I deal with every negative I make before I make any more. I
either print it or discard it. In this way I learn from my work. And
 since I know what I have done I do not repeat myself. At least it is
 easier not to repeat myself when I know what I have done. A major
 problem that many photographers have is that they do not deal with
 their negatives. Ansel Adams had 40,000 unprinted negatives when he
 died, which is why, I contend, that after awhile he just repeated
himself. Edward Weston, on the other hand, printed every negative, or
 he discarded it. He kept growing as a photographer.

I wish I could print every negative before I make another one. But
this isn't practical for me: I shoot in TN during the summer, and then
them. So, I don't really know what I've got till I get there and
develop the film.

I think that you, Michael, go on fairly long photo shoots too. And
Weston was gone for a long time on his Guggenheim trip. So I think you
don't mean literally that you print every negative before you make
another one, although that would be ideal for learning. I think you
mean you don't keep a huge backlog of unprinted negatives. Right?

--shannon

Frankly I don't think that it would even add that much to my learning.
I don't think that a single negative with a problem would have had the
same "Houston We have a problem" type of moment that we have all had
when we find a whole roll of film suffers from a mistake.

As far as negatives, I keep almost all of them.  Only the very worst
where it is so totally out of focus or some other problem is found that
it makes the college file.  Prints I toss often, but not negatives.
A show on the Ovation TV network has a show on it that plays every so
often is about Ed Weston's wife Charis and interviews her about many of
Ed's photos including the Gugenhiem trip.  One thing I always wondered
is why they didn't take a changing bag and at least develop the
negatives from time to time.  I suspect the main reason that if you
drive 5 hours or so a day and take pictures another 8, the main thing
you are interested in then is to eat and rest.

Now the latent image is the most prone to damage.  I try to at least
develop the negatives if its going to be a while before I can print.
Prints can wait till I get to them or I am ready to do them. Wait with
the negs and adverse conditions may make printing unnecessary.  If I
were in Tn all summer, Id try to find a darkroom or make another temp
one. grin  On that Shannon you are now an expert.

Mark

http://shannonstoney-twors.blogspot.com/
http://branguslane.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/