[pure-silver] Re: Formula #87 in Anchell

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:29:58 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 5:34 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Formula #87 in Anchell

Hello all,

Just needed some advice from those who know about such things....

More and more, I find myself mixing my own chemicals. For paper, I can now get Hypo (Sodium Thiosulfate) in 25kg bags from a chemical firm. I use the 2 tray method of fixing. But what about film? I checked Anchell and found this interesting formula (#87 Odourless Acid Hardening Finishing Bath for film or paper)

I have all the ingredients:

Sodium Thiosulfate,  240gr
Sodium sulfite (anhydrous),  15.0gr
Acetic Acid 28%, 48.0ml
Balanced Alkali, 15gr
Potassium Alum, 15gr
Water to make make one Litre.

I don`t have any Potassium Alum , but Anchell tells me that the Potassium Alum is the hardening agent in the solution, so if I leave it out, do I have a fixer that is non-hardening? Am I correct in this assumption and can I proceed without the Potassium Alum. I will be mixing 17 Litres in tanks for 8x10 Tri-X.

Later, I want to develop some 4x5 Efke PL 25 Otho. The Efke emulsions tend to be soft and a hardening fixer is recommended.

Is there a commercial name for Potassium Alum, something I could get at the pharmacy or supermarket, so I could use it with the Efke fixer, or am I still good without the Alum?

Can I substitute Baking Soda for the Balanced Alkali, and if so, in what proportion, or are they interchangeable in terms of quantity?

Cheers,
Bogdan

Jean David has already pointed out that this is Kodak F-6. The main difference between this and Kodak F-5, which is the standard formula is the use of Kodalk Balanced Alkali AKA sodium metaborate in place of borax. A couple of notes: Sodium thiosulfate will fix all by itself but will oxidize rapidly without the addition of some sodium sulfite to protect it. The sulfite has the further effect of preventing staining from developer reaction products since the developer will continue to be active until the hypo dissolves enough halide. If a plain, non-acid bath is desired about 5 grams per liter of sulfite is sufficient. In hardening baths enough additional sulfite is added to prevent the thiosulfate from being decomposed by the necessary acid typically about 15 grams per liter. Thiosulfate will fix regardless of the pH of the bath its in but the inorganic hardeners often used require the bath to be acid to work. The most common hardener is potassium aluminum sulfate more commonly known as alum or white alum. A few fixing bath formulas call for chrome-alum which is potassium chromium sulfate. Chrome alum results in more complete hardening of the emulsion but can produce staining so it was never used for printing paper. It was most often used for high-temperature processing. The use of acid in a fixing bath even without the hardener has some advantage, mostly that is stops the developer immediately, allowing more controllable development, and also prevents the generation of reaction products by the residual developer. The disadvantage of acid is that it tends to prolong washing. The rate at which thiosulfate diffuses out of the emulsion depends partly on the relative electrical charge of the molecules of the emulsion, when acid the charge tends to attract, thus bind, the thiosulfate ions; when neutral or alkaline, the charge tends to repel the thiosulfate ions. In addition white alum hardener has a specific mordanting property for both thiosulfate and its reaction products. The effect takes place only when the emulsion is acid. However, the hardening also is effective only as long as the emulsion is acid. While both the mordanting and electrical binding can be eliminated by treating the emulsion in an alkaline bath such a bath will also destroy the hardening. However, both mordanting and charge binding are eliminated at neutral pH (for typical photographic gelatin) while the hardening is preserved. So, treating in a wash aid which produces a neutral condition will accelerate washing without destroying the hardening. The use of sulfite as a wash aid has the advantage over other alkalis that it has an ion exchange effect on the thiosulfate so accelerates washing even when the emulsion has been fixed in a neutral or alkaline fixing bath. Almost all standard fixing baths have about 240 grams per liter of crystalline sodium thiosulfate in them. Anhydrous thiosulfate works as well and less is necessary. However, most fixer formulas were written at a time when the crystalline form was the most available. The reason for this quantity traces to research done at Kodak a very long time ago. The first research into the optimum amount of thiosulfate was done with dry film. It turned out that the condition of the emulsion is important: when the experiments were repeated some years later with wetted film it was found that the rate of fixing Vs: hypo concentration did not reach a peak at 240 grams, as shown in the first experiments, but continued to become shorter as the concentration was increased. Nonetheless, the amount became a standard and continues to the present. The use of ammonium thiosulfate in place of sodium thiosulfate results in a fixing bath that is faster and less sensitive to the accumulation of reaction products. This was known for decades but "rapid" fixer was not popular because ammonium thiosulfate in dry form is not stable and liquid concentrate is expensive. Also, when made acid, as in a standard fixer formula, ammonium thiosulfate tends to dissolve fine metallic silver particles resulting in bleaching unless fixing time is carefully regulated. This also made it difficult to use in a hardening bath since the hardener might take considerably longer to work than the fixer. BTW, the slowness of the hardener is one reason that older instructions often specify extremely long fixing times. Fresh sodium thiosulfate fixer will fix out most emulsions in a couple of minutes but the hardener may need ten or more minutes to work. Even tabular grain film emulsions may fix out faster than is necessary for hardening and certainly film-strength rapid fixer will. Note also that all acid fixing baths contain an acid buffer combination. This is to maintain the pH in a range where the hardener will work. It is to compensate for carried over developer and also carried over stop bath. If its desired to keep the development stopping property even in a non-hardening bath a buffer is still necessary to prevent the fixer from becoming alkaline from carried over developer or too acid from carried over stop bath, which could cause decomposition. Where an ammonium thiosulfate bath is used without acid, or with reduced acid in a non-hardening bath the bleaching effect does not take place so it can be used full strength for even warm tone papers without affecting either density or image color. A rapid fixer can be made by the addition of ammonium chloride to a conventional fixing bath, as in Kodak F-7, but is not as satisfactory as a bath made with ammonium thiosulfate. A good non-hardening fixing bath with reduced acidity is Kodak F-24 given below. Because of the fairly high pH there is less tendency for this bath to produce sulfur dioxide gas, the familiar hypo odor, which many find particularly irritating.

Kodak F-24

Water (at about 125F).............500.0 ml
Sodium thiosulfate, crystalline...240.0 grams
Sodium sulfite, desiccated.........10.0 grams
Sodium bisulfite...................25.0 grams
Water to make.......................1.0 liter

Note: if anhydrous thiosulfate is used the water temperature should not be over about 90F to prevent decomposition. Crystalline hypo is extremely endothermic and will rapidly cool the water its mixed in.

Sodium thiosulfate, crystalline had an approximate formula weight of 248 and anhydrous of 158 so that if you want to use anhydrous in place of crystalline the ratio is: 64% I don't have formula for rapid fixers at hand but ammonium thiosufate can be substituted for sodium thiosulfate in standard formulas by conversion of amounts using the formula weights. Formula weight for ammonium thiosulfate anhydrous is 148.2. Typical liquid concentrates are about 58%. My memory is that rapid fixers have rather more thiosulfate in them than standard fixers. Another note: sodium metaborate can be made by combining borax and sodium hydroxide in solution. The amounts are: Sodium hydroxide....14.5 grams, borax, 69 grams, equals 100 grams of sodium metaborate. Adjust these amounts according to the amount of metaborate you need in the formula.

I didn't really mean to write a treatise when I started out but the fit was upon me.