[pure-silver] Re: Film In Dektol

  • From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:45:38 -0700

Well the camera doesn't matter nearly as much as the lens, unless its a total piece of junk and even then that can be used.  As long as the body is light tight and the shutter an aperture are functioning properly (or at least consistently) brand of the box makes a difference only in the operator and their ease of use.  Now that doesn't mean a junk body will do as well either.  If you throw the Zeiss lenses on a Kiev with light leaks, you have nothing.

Now you mention the C3 being $150 and creates fine work.  No disagreement there, but try to use it to go photograph wildlife.  It isn't going to work.  Take it to a kids birthday party and you will get some good images, but you are going to miss a large number of them too.  Some you would miss with a 35mm that wasn't automated, but the things around you are just too fast.  You also mention the blad great lenses, and compare them with the $5000 Leica.  Last time I looked at Blads if you add 2 lenses (a wide angle and a telephoto) to go with the normal lens you are likely close to or over $5000.  I have rarely seen anyone use a blad from eye level.  Looks like it would be odd at least at first, but then again maybe not.

Comparing film to the dreaded D word in my opinion is so difficult as to be nearly impossible.  Yes there is more information in film, but the digital capture tends to be cleaner information so some of the old rules of 10 times the neg size can be bent depending on what you do with it.  It must have something going for it in that so many fine art photographers are closing darkrooms to go digital.

I almost bought a 645 once, and its a great portrait format.  Trouble is that at the time, I wasn't doing that many portraits. When 645 started with auto focus, it started to have more possibilities but by then the digital revolution was well underway.

Now is speed really important?  Just like having more than one camera for more than one type of work, it gives you options.  You can always slow down and think if you make yourself, but no matter how good you are you can only speed up so much without some help from automation.  Like most things in photography its a trade off.  For me speed is almost a must, but then its not rare for me to be photographing at the local short track auto races either.

Now there are very good reasons for using bigger negs and far be it from me to decide how someone else works. Everyone should use what they think will best do the job at hand. Personally though I wouldn't call a 35mm image inferior.  I would call it different.  No one I have ever talked to would consider the lens on a Holga a tack sharp lens.  But when that limitation is embraced and used creatively, I have seen some stunning work with a plastic junk camera.