[pure-silver] Re: Film In Dektol

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver Free" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:05:40 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:41 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Film In Dektol

Tim maybe a bit, but when I compared Dektol to D76 I was surprised at how many of the different ingredients were common to both. Everyone's idea of good is a different, but with a well exposed and sharp image to begin I am often surprised with the modern films and paper the results 35mm can produce. It's not the right tool for every job, but every time I think 35mm is a thing of the past, something seems to remind me of its biggest advantage. It's mobility allows images in places and times that would be very difficult if not impossible to get any other way. A great image you can only enlarge to 11x14 or maybe even 16x20 is far better than missing it with another format. In my personal situation the biggest limiting factor usually is between the ears of the idiot pushing the shutter button.

Yes I have a 4x5 but I find I rarely use that. I don't take the 2 1/4 out that often either because the gear I have weighs a friggen ton and it slows me down. The older I get the more respect I have for those past that carried their darkrooms and cameras on the backs of mules to get those priceless images from days gone by.

I am beginning a project that will involve using every format camera I have every two weeks for a period of a couple of months. I want to see how forcing myself from using the same thing all the time affects my overall outlook on my work. I figure making myself use my 4x5 would slow me down and make me think and plan ahead better when automation and other aids like roll film tend to make one work quicker. I want to see how the 6x6 format changes my perspective when using other size films. I have a 35mm with no meter, and that has to be used with only exposure estimates. Yes I have a handheld meter and it works great but what fun would that be.

After a few months, I plan to do something like this in the darkroom. Some way to push myself in new and different directions.

The ingredients in Dektol/D-72 are indeed common to many developers. It is the proportions that make the difference. Kodak decided nearly a century ago that most development jobs can be done with some variation of a Metol/hydroquinone developer. Kodak formulas include everything from fine grain to high contrast developers, all using metol and hydroquinone. As it happens metol (called Elon by Kodak) will develop by itself even in neutral pH solutions. So, it appears in developers like D-23 and D-25. Hydroquinone is seldom used by itself but in a high pH solution makes a high contrast developer.
    Other common ingredients are:
Sodium sulfite, a preservative that absorbs oxygen in preference to the developing agents. Sulfite also has other important functions in developers. Sodium carbonate, a medium pH alkali used in many developers to activate the developing agents.
Potassium bromide, a restrainer used to suppress fog.
Other ingredients often found but less common than the above are:
Sodium or potassium hydroxide
Sodium bisulfite (actually metabisulfite)
Borax
Sodium metaborate (Kodalk)
A few others. Of course, I've left out water.

   Here are some comparitive formulas:

Kodak D-76, a moderately fine grain film developer, original formula
Water   (at about 125F or 52C)         750.0 ml
Metol 2.0 grams
Sodium sulfite, desiccated                100.0 grams
Hydroquinone 5.0 grams Borax, granular 2.0 grams Water to make 1.0 liter

D-72, an active universal developer similar to Dektol

Water (at 125F or 52C)                            500.0 ml
Metol 3.0 grams Sodium sulfite, desiccated 45.0 grams Hydroquinone 12.5 grams
Sodium carbonate, monohydrated            80.0 grams
Potassium bromide 2.0 grams Water to make 1.0 liter

For use dilute 1:1 to 1:4

Kodak D-61a, an active film developer once widely used for photo-finishing.

Water, at about 125F or 52C                    500.0 ml
Metol 3.0 grams Sodum sulfite, desiccated 90.0 grams Sodium bisulfite 2.0 grams Hydroquinone 6.0 grams
Sodium carbonate, monohydrated               14.0 grams
Potassium bromide 2.0 grams Water to make 1.0 liter

For use, in a tray dilute 1 part stock to 1 part water.
In a tank dilute 1 part stock to 3 parts water.

Kodak D-11, high contrast for film.

Water, at about 125F or 52C                    500.0 ml
Metol 1.0 gram Sodium sulfite, desiccated 75.0 grams Hydroquinone 9.0 grams
Sodium carbonate, monohydrated              30.0 grams
Potassium bromide 5.0 grams Water to make 1.0 liter

For process negatives use full strength. For continuous tone copies dilute with an equal volume of water.

DK-50 is an example of a metaborate developer. A number of advantages are claimed for the use of metaborate in place of carbonate or other alkalies.

Kodak DK-50 For professional films and plates

Water at about 125F or 52C 500.0 ml Metol 2.5 grams Sodium sulfite, desiccated 30.5 grams Hydroquinone 2.5 grams Kodalk Balanced Alkali* 40.0 grams Potassum bromide 0.5 grams Water to make 1.0 liter
For use dilute with an equal volume of water.

DK-60A is similar but has about half the amount of Kodalk in it and is used full strength.

There are an enormous number of other formulas which do not differ much from the above. Every phographic manufacturer had a version of D-76, D-72, and D-61 .