[pure-silver] Re: Endings and Beginnings

  • From: "Randy Stewart" <randal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 21:35:29 -0700

I accept that a magazine cannot survive without subscribers and advertizing.
Photo Techniques first moved toward digital with a mix of old and new photo and
print production articles, trying to hold onto its base plus keep up with
digital.  However, the end of the traditional magazine was signalled by the
withdrawal of all of its contributors on all "wet darkroom" subjects. After a
few issues in "transition", it moved totally to digital process, and now very
much away from process and into the photo portfolio. It now seems to be very
much a magazine looking for a market.

As the old staff and writers left and new, more "with it" folks take over, the
magazine leaves its base of subscribers and struggles with new concepts, often
not being the master of its newly chosen medium. Thus, almost every photo
magazine, popular or nitchy, as failed, and most of them followed this same
path. I now thumb through the new issue in about 20 minutes and consign it to
storage, probably to never be looked at again.

I started with Issue 1. I maintain my subsription to monitor its on-going fall
toward failure. I doubt thre will be a subscription to renew.  For those few
who would go deeply into the wet darkroom, a complete set of Photo Techniques
is one of the best source books. Optionally, its compendiums of process
articles [if still available] are excellent and well worth the modest price.

Randall Stewart