[pure-silver] Re: Dumb-dumb Me (or what 100ASA 135 film to try next)

  • From: Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:22:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, BOB KISS wrote:

Dear Elias,
        I agree with you that Ilford Delta 100 lacks "life".  For similar
development I find it much contrastier than T-max 100 but it lacks the tonal
separation in the highlights.  They just look dull.  It is weird to have
dull highlights at the same time you have high contrast.  I haven't put the
Delta 100 through my sensitometer and densitometer but I suspect what
Richard said is correct;  there is something about that films response curve
that simply makes it a contrast film that makes prints (or scans)with dull
highlights.

This is quite understandable. A film with a straight density "curve" has the same contrast in the midtones and the highlights (regardless of CI). A film with a shoulder has lower contrast at the higher densities giving (hopefully) easy printable, but probably dull highlights.

My tests show that APX100, FP4+ and TMX have these long straight curves, while the Deltas (both 100 and 400) have some shoulder. It is said that Ilford matches its films to its papers (because paper has a typical curve, too). I found both Deltas very fine and have no problems with dull highlights. However, I don't scan from the neg.

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

        Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/3723                           Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |