[pure-silver] Re: Dumb-dumb Me (or what 100ASA 135 film to try next)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 15:48:25 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 1:49 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Dumb-dumb Me (or what 100ASA 135 film to try next)

I picked up the bulk loader from the shelf, where it sat with two others that I knew to be empty, shook it and felt something in it, but wondered why it was with the empties. I checked for the end that sticks out into the winding chamber and saw nothing, and thought I must have emptied this one but didn't take the spool out, and like a rank amateur (which I am) I opened it. I ruined about 40 feet of Delta Pro 100. Good going self!

Ok, so I tell myself I never liked the DP100 all that much. Too smooth, and flat for my budding taste, but that was a waste of money.

I've used HP5+ with Ilfotec HC or D76, and I like it. I use Rollei Retro 400 with Rodinal, and I like it. If that gives you any idea of what I like...
The only reason I'd shoot 100 speed is to get less grain.

Does anybody want to help me overcome my guilt, and recommend a new film to me in the 100 speed range?

Elias
 No.1, You need a changing bag.
No.2, Of course I don't know specifically mean by "flat" but if its just low overall contrast the answer is to increase development time. Films vary in their tone rendition due to the shape of the characteristic curve but that mostly affects the relative values of the mid tones for given limits of shadow and highlight points (the darkest and ligthest parts of the image what will print with some detail). T-grain films generaly change contrast faster with the amount of development than conventional emulsions but the relationship is still the same. For T-grain film a change of about 15% to 20% in time will affect the contrast by about one paper grade. For conventional films the time difference is typically 25% to 33%. I mostly use Kodak 100T-Max. For 120 and larger I process it in D-76 diluted 1:1 but for 35mm I use either Perceptol or Microdol-X full strength. This combination results in nearly as fine grain as the old Technical Pan but with a speed of about EI-50 and easily controlled contrast. The same developers should give similar results with any of the T-grain ISO-100 films. This isn't flat but may be too smooth:-) I also use Plus-X pan for 120 film (wish it were available in sheet sizes). I also have a spool of motion picture Plus-X. This is not quite the same stuff as the still film. I shoot it at about EI-90 and use D-76 for processing, I haven't tried it in Microdol-X yet. The developing instructions are written around Kodak D-97 (or is it D-95?) a developer similar to diluted D-76 and intended for use in automatic machines so I had to guess at the development time for D-76. Ilford FP-4 is good stuff with a somewhat different look from Plus-X or the T-grain films. Also, Fuji Acros is supposed to be very good but I have not tried it yet. Its also a T-grain film. Xtol is probably superior to D-76 for all of these but I'm still shy of it due to a couple of early failures.
   If you want rough try T-Max P-3200 in Dektol.

---