[pure-silver] Re: DIY enlarger - from your 1936 kitchen

  • From: "Bob Rosen" <afterswift@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:16:25 -0800

I still have
the Argus C3, but only the box from the Rolleicord :-( ! --Jim
Argus cameras make me growl. My first 35mm was an Argus C4. No meter. It
weighed a ton. Focusing used a thumb wheel that used the rangefinder window
as a hub which also acted as a gear to focus the lens. Fortunately I quickly
replaced it with a Leica M3 that my brother brought me from Germany. A Leica
was affordable in those days.

The Argus C3 was a box with a separate rangefinder and viewfinder. It was
clumsy to use. US outfits somehow couldn't build 35mm cameras. Kodak came up
with 35mm plastic bodies or imported Retinas from Germany -- which I also
didn't like. Most of the cheaper German 35mm cameras were also limited.

Then came the Nikons and everything changed.

Bob