[pure-silver] Re: DIY enlarger - from your 1936 kitchen

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:57:15 -0500

"Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
Richard wrote:
> My first roll of film was developed in... a Kodak darkroom
> in a box...[with] a couple of the chemical packs, three
> little trays, film clips, a packet of Velox and some
> other stuff including a ruby lamp
Me too!
not quite that long ago, but the same kit... so nice!
Not sure but I think there may have been seveeral different
kits... a Jr. kit, A Delux kit etc.

I had one too.  My mother got it from the staff photographer
at the hospital. I remember opening the box in the front seat of the car when she picked me up from school - I was
just about breathless with excitement.

I still use the film clips and the 4oz glass graduate.

I had already developed my first roll with a Tri-Chem pack from the drugstore, some bowls from the kitchen and two
clothespins.  And the "Boys' First Book of Photography"
from the library.

Jim Brick wrote:
Reminds me of my first enlarger, 1950 at twelve years old, in my bedroom closet, on a card table - an old Federal 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 enlarger.

Ditto the enlarger.  Ditto the bedroom closet.  Ditto the card table.

My first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye

Mine was an Empire Baby - arguably the worst camera ever
made.  I got the money to buy it by pulling weeds from my
uncle's lawn at a tuppence a hundred. The camera cost two shillings sixpence.

Before the enlarger I remember making itty-bitty contact prints from the 1/2 frame 127 negatives.

Second camera was an Imperial Satellite.  I can still
conjure the smell M2 flashbulbs going off.

The enlarger is still in a corner of my parents basement.
I bought an Empire baby on ebay a few years ago - didn't
get more than 3 shots off before the shutter broke. I also bought a mint condition ABC outfit, but the thrill of opening the box wasn't the same the second time around.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121