[pure-silver] Re: Condenser envy

  • From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:15:58 -0600

Dennis Purdy wrote:
I am committed to my VC cold light head because my favorite paper is VC and I don't want to use VC filters so I have an Aristo VC head with florescent tubes in green and blue. But I wish I could use a condenser head for the little extra sharpness and contrast. It occurred to me that my cold light head is the same diameter as the condenser housing on my Beseler Condenser head. So if I attach my VC cold light head to the top of the condenser housing doesn't it become a VC condenser head? Would the light be collimated the same as if I used the regular top to the condenser head with the single light bulb? Am I missing something here?

I have converted two condenser enlargers (a DeJur Versatile Professional 4x5 and an Omega E5 5x7) to color/vc by the simple expedient of replacing the lamp housing with the color head from a Nikor/Honeywell/Rollei (how many different names did they have?) 6x7 enlarger. The illuminated area of the 6x7 head is larger than that of the bulbs it replaced and the condensers take care of spreading it out to 4x5 and 5x7. Bottom line, your Aristo head should be no problem at all.
Chauncey