[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Ilford Muligrade filters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:27:15 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:20 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Ilford Muligrade filters

>I once tried cleaning some Ilford filters at our school
>that were really gross and unuseable.  Some of the pigment
>washed off.  The filters were noticeably lighter after the
>cleaning.  Pitched them.  These were the large (6inx6in?)
>flexible filters with no frames.
>>
>> From: "Ken Hough " <k4sb@xxxxxxxx>
>> Date: 2005/01/19 Wed AM 11:11:24 EST
>> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Ilford Muligrade
>> filters
>>
>> Every 6 months I cleaned mine in the sink with warm water
>> and dish
>> detergent. I used a used cotton dish cloth under water to
>> rub each
>> surface. I then rinsed them and dried then in the dish
>> rack. They are
>> still nice and useable. No extra scratches.
>> Ken
>>
>> Hi,
>> I obtained a set of 12 "under-the lens" multigrade
>> filters with
>> holder
>> from Ilford. They are quite dusty, but most of the dust
>> can be blown
>> of. More seriously are the finger marks on them. Is there
>> a way to
>> clean them (I know that water is out of the question, so
>> maybe
>> isopropanol, or 100% alchol?)
>>
>> Most opinions on these under the lens filters are that
>> they are
>> equally good as above the lens, but with these finger
>> prints on some
>> of them (obviously the most used ones..) wiil , I guess
>> degrade the
>> image on the print
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Cor

      Some Ilford filers are pigmented or dyed plastic.
These can be cleaned with mild detergent. Gelatin filters or
those with a dyed gelatin layer can be cleaned with film
cleaner. Kodak currently recommends very dry Isopropyl
alcohol for film so it should be OK for gelatin filters.
Filters in the image forming path must be both clean and
free from turbidity. If the fingerprints have etched the
surface they are on the filters are probably unusable.

---