[pure-silver] Re: Chemists: WHY Is It 28%

  • From: Bill <billtech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:41:25 -0400

Am I just lucky? I started out with Tri-Chem packs, but once I went to larger
quantities and more variety, I started buying glacial acetic acid by the
gallon. I think the price of a quart of Kodak’s 28% had an influence. I did wet
processing for over 50 years (sadly, no longer) and in that time I had only one
problem with glacial acetic - and that wasn’t at home.
When I worked in a portrait studio’s lab, hand-developing prints, I had to keep
my chemicals fresh and that sometimes involved a trip to the loading dock,
stainless steel pitcher in hand, to pump a quart of glacial from the 55 gallon
drum stored there. Not a problem…until someone was coming out of the light-trap
curtains as I was carrying the acid in.
In case anyone is doing research, I believe it took a good-quality commercial
air handling system almost three hours to refresh the atmosphere in the
darkroom so that the 15 or so people working there could return to work. No one
was hurt, but that odor is *strong*! (They installed a buzzer with pushbuttons
both inside and outside the light trap - no further problems.)
Anyway, I think I still have a half-gallon of the stuff sitting around the
basement somewhere, since I always forget about it on hazardous waste
collection days. I wonder how much money I saved over the years…probably a
couple of dollars...

-Bill