[pure-silver] Re: Chemists: WHY Is It 28%

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:32:43 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "" <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "pixel_xray@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
for DMARC)" <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:57 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Chemists: WHY Is It 28%

Since the beginning of time as a photographer, I've used the advised 1.5oz of 28% Acetic Acid per quart of working stop bath. Now, I realize this is not a super critical thing, it just has to stop any further development, but I am curious: Who came up with this exact formulation, and more
importantly, *why* is this particular dilution right?

These are very good questions and I am not sure I've ever seen an answer in the literature. At least up through the 1940s it was common practice to use a plain water rinse. The use of an acid stop bath became popular to stop development at a predictable point and also to deliver the film or paper to the fixing bath in an acid condition. Now, most fixing bath formulas are compounded to compensate for some alkaline carryover from the developer. The standard Kodak formula contains a buffer to maintain the acidity. Of course, the acid in the fixer also acts to stop development but there is a limited reserve so its good practice to neutralize the alkaline from the developer before going to the fixing bath. The acid in the fixing bath is needed only when a non-organic hardener is used. Both white alum and chrome alum (which has no aluminum in it) require an acid environment to work. If the hardening action is not needed or desired no acid is needed in the fixing bath. If there is a reasonable amount of sulfite in the fixing bath it will prevent staining from carried over developer that continues to develop for a time. I think the concentration of acid in the fixing bath is determined mainly by the expected alkalinity of the developers in general use and to limit the amount of swelling of the emulsion. Gelatin has no characteristic pH, rather it has an isoelectric point. This is defined as the pH at which the gelatin has the minimum of swelling. For most photographic gelatin its slightly on the acid side of neutral. When made more alkaline or more acid than the isoelectric point the gelatin swells. The main purpose of hardener is to minimize the amount of swelling. Note that acids other than acetic acid may be used as stop baths. It is common now to use citric acid because it does not produce the odor associated with acetic acid. However, if much citric is carried over into a conventional fixing bath it will interfere with the hardener since citric acid is a sequestering agent for the aluminum compound used for hardening. This is of no consequence when hardening is not used. Also, some non-organic acids such as sodium metabisulfite can be used and work fine. During World War Two there were many formulas published for using substitutes for acetic acid was a strategic material. FWIW, Kodak and others recommended stronger stop baths for use with process materials that were developed in solutions with much higher pH that the usual pictorial developer.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL