[pure-silver] Re: Chemical Blues

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:14:47 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Adrienne Moumin
To: Pure Silver
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:41 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Chemical Blues

Thanks so much for that definition, Jonathan!

I did in fact buy the anhydrous form of sodium sulifte; I was so paranoid since I'd never bought it in bulk before, that I shot a test roll to process before using it on anything I cared about.

I spoke to BKA yesterday, they were in fact very nice & promised to make sure I get some fresh chemistry.

On another strange chemical note, I just got an e-mail from B&H about a shipment of three orders. I track the order info to find they are sending me 11 bottles of Agfa Sistan, which I ordered from them in 2005 and which kept arriving here opened and leaking. So now, in 2009, they will be sending me more.....??? Curious thing, I will wait to see what arrives!

Adrienne Moumin

The problem with Sistan is that, AFAIK, there has never been any valid research published showing that it works. A very long time ago I talked to Dr. Nishimura at IPI and he told me that one of his students started to run a test but it was never completed. Sistan appears to be a solution of potassium thiocyanate in a wetting agent. Thiocyanate was used as a stabilizer in the old stablization process, a rapid access method of processing prints where no fixing bath is used. It prevents the unfixed halides from discoloring for a period of time. Thiocyanate is also a fixing agent. I am not quite sure of the mechanism by which Sistan is supposed to work. There is no doubt that it does stabilize the image, but is not as effective as toning in a sulfide or selenium toner or gold toner. It has the virtue of not changing the appearance of the image. The presense of the wetting agent is becuse Sistan is intended to be used as a final rinse. However, unlike a straight wetting agent rinse (like a solution of Kodak Photo-Flo) it must be squeegeed or or swabbed off beause an excessive amount will cause staining. The main problem with permanence is oxidation of the image silver by atmospheric polutants or gasses exuded by storage materials. Silver is very vulnerable to oxidation, that's why silver utensils and jewelry tarnish. By converting some of the silver to silver sulfide, silver selenide, or a gold compound, the oxidation can be significantly reduced or eliminated. A secondary cause of image damage is sulfiding, either by sesidual sulfur-containing compounds in the emulsion or support, or from gasses as in oxidation. This form or image damage is eliminated by insuring complete fixing and washing. Curiously, it was found (at Kodak and Fuji) that a very small residue of thiosulfate (fixer) in the emulsion would provide a certain degree of protection against oxidation. It is thought that it causes some sulfiding of the image silver, enough to protect it. Silver sulfide is an extremely stable compound. The difference between this and lack of washing is that the latter results in uncontrolled sulfiding throughout the emulsion and the production of colored sulfur compounds all over the emulsion. Lack of complete fixing allows some halide to remain in an insoluble form so that it does not wash out. Eventually, this halide will decompose causing staining and the production of reaction products that attack the silver image. Although stabilized halide appears to be capable of normal fixing and washing for some period of time chemical changes in the redidue halides generally make it impossible to fix out after about two weeks. Since display prints are subject to considerable exposure to the air and to light they should always be either toned or treated with a stabilizer. While there is no formal research showing Sistan works there is informal evidence that it does and is a good choice where the changes in image density and color produced by toning are undesirable.