[pure-silver] Re: Bromophen

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 06:01:38 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Bromophen and Dektol are both general purpose "universal" developers but
have somewhat different performance with many papers. Dektol is a
metol-hydroquinone developer where Bromophen uses Phenidone and hydroquinone.
There are probably other differences. There are published formulas similar, but
not identical to each. Dektol is notorious for producing a somewhat olive tone
on many warm tone papers, it also leaves silver deposits on trays. Bromophen
tends to be more neutral in tone and is also cleaner working. Dektol may have
somewhat better performance for some papers if diluted less than instructed,
1:1 rather than 1:2. That also gives it longer tray life.
     Virtually every paper manufacturer had a formula nearly identical to Kodak
D-72, the Dektol-type developer. I say type because Dektol contains some
proprietary (or at least once patented) constituents. That's why it can be made
up as a single powder rather than having the Metol (Kodak calls it Elon) in a
separate container from the sulfite.