[pure-silver] Re: Bad news

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:20:07 -0400

At 10:30 AM 7/14/2005 , Adrienne Moumin wrote:
>The comment about the paper is interesting in light of the fact that Agfa is
>running a B/W photo competition for work for its paper box covers:
>
>http://www.agfaphoto.com/en-GB/photography/awards/bw-photo-competition/
>
>Prize $$ aside, I think it's sad and more than a little disgusting that a
>multinational company like this won't even pay market-rate stock usage fees
>for images they choose.   Sorry if I've opened up a can of worms here, but
>I've had it up to my hair follicles w/calls for artists to supply free labor
>under the guise of "exposure."
>
>-Adrienne Moumin

July 15, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

It's particularly disgusting to see large international corporations doing
it. I was approached by the UK staff of a huge publishing conglomerate
based in Switzerland to donate a few images for a book of theirs. No pay
offered, just great exposure, which is a crock. I did let them use a few,
and the reproductions are very nice. But when did it become acceptable for
million-dollar international businesses to ask for handouts from
individuals who create content? What's wrong with paying a few hundred
dollars so they can hold their heads up in public?

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326