[pure-silver] Re: Archival mounting material testing?

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:45:19 +0200

Quoting Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm just wondering, apart from the used 'acid free' materials are there any
> known tests for print degrading substances including formaldehyde, ozone and
> alkyds? For instance some moulded frame materials can give off some of
> these.

Of course. That's why there are specifications such as LOC's Spec
400-402-8/19/02
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/supply/specs/400-402.html
for mounting board which include among other lignin tests ASTM D 1030, tests
for metals etc. and, of course, RIT/IPI's PAT.

These apply to mounting boards but there are standards for the whole chain
including frames, enclosures etc.

Within their standards for "Care, Handling, and Storage"
 http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html

"Environmental Factors
The environmental factors that affect the preservation of photographic materials
are relative humidity and temperature, air pollution, light, and housekeeping
practices.
Relative Humidity and Temperature
All photographic materials are sensitive to high, low, and fluctuating relative
humidity (RH), which is a measure of how saturated the air is with moisture.
High RH affects all components of photographs. High RH causes a gelatin binder
to become soft and sticky, making it vulnerable to mechanical damage and image
deterioration. Low RH causes the binder to shrink and crack and the secondary
support to curl."