[pure-silver] Archival mounting material testing?

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:22:09 +0100

I'm just wondering, apart from the used 'acid free' materials are there any
known tests for print degrading substances including formaldehyde, ozone and
alkyds? For instance some moulded frame materials can give off some of
these.

One of RS's constant and accurate observations is that whilst residual
thiosulphate and incomplete fixing were often judged as the only guilty
parties for image degradation mechanisms, the chemicals in the print's
environment were equally to blame, as many inkjet users can testify.

I'm musing if mounting materials can be tested for these unwelcome visitors.

--
Regards Chris Woodhouse ARPS  (a real pain sometimes)