[pure-silver] Re: Acros & HC-110

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:41:42 +0100

Sorry, I admit to not fully understanding Richard's notes, but agree with
the first two paragraphs of the long note, with the exception of the typo
that the speed point is at 0.01 above base & fog. The ISO/ASA standard of
determining film speed is pretty clear on a log density of 0.1 above base &
fog to be the speed point.

The trick is that it has to be done on a film, which has been developed so
that an exposure of log 1.3 above the speed point has a density of log 0.8
above the speed point density.

In other words, the film contrast must be 0.8/1.3 or 0.62!

Once that is achieved, the exposure that produced the speed point density of
0.1 is used to calculate the film speed. Richard gave the equation in his
long note (S = 0.8/Hm), but he has another typo there, because he wrote
0.08, correcting it later in the text. The factor 0.8 is a safety factor,
moving the 'true' speed point to a 'new' minimum density, slightly above
0.1, but the actual density depends on the actual shape of the
characteristics curve for the film/developer combination in question.

Nevertheless, for all practical purposes and back to the original question,
the standard speed point has a log density of 0.1, which leads to minimum
exposure for shadows. Consequently, I have raised my speed point to 0.17,
which leads to far better shadow detail at the cost of film speed. I rate my
film around 2/3 stop below advertised speeds. The results are worth it.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com