Re: Several quewstions about the ptr2.

  • From: Michael Lang <michael.lang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Don Ball <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 04:12:33 +0100

Hi Don, you wrote:

> First thing I did was take the daisy manual on the ptr2 CD and copy
> the folder straight to the compact flash card. I have a two gig card.
> When I booted the card the ptr2 saw it as an audio card only. Question
> 1. Why was the complete folder not recognized as a daisy title? Did I
> need the HTML file at the root of the CD?

Yes, all files have to be copied as they are on the CD, if you want to
read it as a DAISY title. You can use the backup function of the PTR2 to
do that.

> The second thing I did was copy some MP3 books to the flash card. When
> I copied the files over the card was again seen as an audio card.
> Question 2. All though I had about a gig and a half of free space
> available for recording, adding files, Etc., When I pressed the record
> button on the ptr2 the machine says uneditible media as though I had a
> full or finalized card. Why?

Because the PTR2 can only record in DAISY format on flash cards. But if
you already have defined it as an audio file card by copying pure audio
files to it, one can't record in DAISY format. It would be too confusing
to have lots of audio files plus DAISY titles on one card or CD.

> The third question is about recording modes. Whether I have the
> recorder set to normal mode or book creator mode the machine still
> wants to record the files as a daisy title. It creates a separate
> folder for each title and adds all kinds of file formats besides just
> the MP3 files. My question is this. Is there a way to record audio
> files only without creating a book?

You can only do that on a blank Audio CD. There are special blank Audio
CDs, which are made for hifi CD recorders. You'd have to use such a CD.
But you can't do much editing, if you do that.

> Finally. How do you insert a track with out stopping the recording? I
> hear all of this talk about creating pages and headings but not
> tracks. I really just want a mode where I can record a file and set
> track markers like I can with the MZB100.

You can set heading markers by pressing the heading key on the PTR2.
This will not create a new audio file, it'll just put a marker in the
DAISY index file. If you want a new audio file at each heading marker,
you'd have to use the Audio Export function of the supplied Plextalk
recording software. If you want to create a new audio file on the PTR2,
you have to stop the recording and start a new one.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>