Re: Need help with settings...

  • From: Michael Lang <michael.lang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rob Sleath <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:51:53 +0100

Rob,

As I understand you, you want to digitize cassettes. You want to copy
them to a music CD, but you also want to edit the recorded matterial. If
this is the case, you cannot do this without using a computer. The PTR1
is created as a DAISY recorder, one cannot physically cut stuff out.

You can copy your tapes onto flash cards and then create great DAISY
books from that. If you want to physically cut out certain passages, you
have to do the logical cutting as you described it. After that, you have
to use the Plextalk recording software on the PC to physically remove
the cutted matterial from the audio files.

When you want to do a lot of cutting, it's important, that the phrase
markers are set as accurately as possible. One can control this in the
custum setting of the recording settings by selecting an appropriate
noise level, low for a quiet environment for instance. With talking book
cassettes, I get the best results, when selecting the noise level high.
That's proberbly because of the tape his. You can also experiment with
the phrase pause setting in the custom setting of the recording settings
menu, the default is 0.4 seconds.

So the best thing is to create some test recordings, experiment with the
recording settings, so that the phrase markers are set for each speech
phrase and only then create the real recording.

One can physically delete recordings from a card by deleting the whole
DAISY title (edit menu).

Don't confuse Audio blank CDs and data CDs on the one hand and CD-Rs and
CD-RWs on the other. CD-Rs can only be recorded once, CD-RWs can be
recorded multiple times. There are CD-Rs and CD-RWs for data recording
(good for DAISY), and for music recording, (playable in hifi CD players).

One can record audio blank CDs in the PTR1, but one cannot do a lot of
editing when doing that.

Hope this helps

   <*** Michael Lang ***>