Need help with settings...

  • From: Rob Sleath <puppypower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:36:24 -0800

Hey all,

I'm new to this list and am hoping someone can help. I am using a PTR1 with updated Firmware version 2.01.

My difficulty lies with my attempts to convert a standard anolog cassette recording into an editted MP3 file. Here are the steps I have taken to date:

1. Connecting my PTR1 to my home stereo, I recorded the 45-minute content of the audiocassette onto the 1 Gb flash card via an in-line patch cord. Initially I used the "anolog cassettes with standard recording" as the recording setting. The resulting recording was excellent. However, I was unable to edit the flash card recording to my satisfaction, primarily because I was unable to position the "cut phrase" position at the exact point were I wanted portions of the recording eliminated. Frustated with this, I proceeded to back-up what I had onto a CDR anyhow, hoping to get a single MP3 file. When prompted, I selected "Back--up card to disk" and selected the "Music" option. I was greeted by "Insert a digital audio CD". Figuring I needed a CDRW, I repeated the process, only to get the same prompt. I thought a CDR or a CDRW was a digital audio CD? Am I missing something here? I aborted the back-up and started all over again.

2. This time, I recorded again to the flash card using the "Custom Setting", selecting the "MP3 - 64 Kb sample/bit rate and "normal" recording speed. I found I was able to edit specific portions of the recording with a much more satisfactory result by splitting phrases on a more precise basis. Satisfied with the editted results, I "saved the editted information" and proceeded to back-up. Same results..."Insert a digital audio CD" when I asked to save in "Music" format. On a whim, I decided to save in "Daisy" format. This seemed to work in that I found a single .mp3 file on the CD along with some other files. Where I need your assistance is in telling me why this resulting .mp3 file does not include any of my edits? What recording settings do I need to select so that I can record from a standard audiocassette onto the flash card, perform several edits and then how do I back-up onto a CDR so that the resulting .mp3 file contains the editted recording?

Your assistance, knowledge and direction will be greatly appreciated!

With thanks,
Rob