[pskmail] jpskmail 0.3.8 server 0.9.20

  • From: kz5ed <kz5ed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:09:22 -0400

Good Morning,

I finally had some time to work with jpskmail this weekend.
Using the new FAQ instructions for tunning and DSP adjustments on my FT857 I was finally able to to connect to WB5CON.
Well Done on the FAQ it was exactly right on.
I still have some issues though since I every time I connect I get a message telling me to update my account which I have done a number of times.
They appear to have gone through since another station saw them on his end.
Still no change and no ability to send email.

I then installed Server 0.9.20 on Ubuntu 9.04 with FLDIGI 3.12.4 since I figured out maybe I could understand this better if I was familiar with both ends.

The only issue after the installation is I got an Application Not Found Message when trying to start. I was able to resolve the issue by changing the rflinkserver.pl file to executable and just for good measure change the owner from root to the user. Server pops up and gives the routes not found error. Created routes and restarted and every thing looks good. I see my server on the site and I beacon every ten.

Question 1: It appears from the instruction that we are to update the data files manually. I cannot open either of the db files so I am missing something. I ran out of time so I was not able to debug that one. I read about using the template to create each of the accounts and I tried but I was not able to. I am trying to use a text editor to open the file I did not try vi or anything else.
Am I going down the right track?

Question 2: When I get this up and running for the time being I will be running on a spare radio that does not have cat control but works well with FLDIGI and a Rigblaster you just have to tune it manually. I figured that since I will not be scanning frequencies that will be fine and I can leave it on 10148.00. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Question 3:  Do I have to Register the Server with something / someone?

Question 4: Is there a setting to have the server Beacon on the Air or do we not want to do that? The only beacon now is via the internet. Is the Server supposed to key the radio when beaconing? Does it use FLDIGI for communicating with the radio? I am a bit confused since the Server Config file has a Radio Command Section. I thought server app worked as an application and fldigi as the modem / Interface. I have my doubts now because I was keying the radio and the beacon message went out so I think the server is not able to communicate with fldigi to tell it to key.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who documented their efforts previously their work made this easier.

73

Eric
kz5ed