[pskmail] Re: Problem on file attach

  • From: Franco Spinelli <frspin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:13:24 +0100

Il 30/01/2011 18:43, Rein Couperus ha scritto:
The attachment is in the downloaded mail Franco, the client just did
not decode it properly, it did not get the right MIME trigger.
I can debug it by downloading again and watching what happens in the client.
Or rather, what does NOT happen in the client :)

Hi Rein

Some ideas on attach problem:

Why detach attached file from message and save in a directory?
Current email clients (Thunderbird, Evolution, etc.) save in Inbox file message and attach file. The file is decoded "on fly" when you see the message. Saving the attach in a directory leave you without the possibility to see this message in an external email client. Also if you get another message with an attach with same filename, you overwrite the old file.
This behavior was in old Eudora email client.

My idea is:

- get the message
- uncompress headers if needed
- save the message in Inbox
- when user request to show a message from Inbox, show the message and
  only name of attach at the bottom of message (no icon is needed!)
- if user select or click on filename of attach, detach on the fly and
  pass to the system or, simply, require an action (delete, save,
  detach) as Thunderbird in a pop-up menu. I suppose there is a library
  in Java for this, like the "email" package in Python I used for
  interfacing PSKMail to SMTP

What do you think of this?

Regards
Franco Spinelli