[pskmail] Re: Intoducing myself and questions

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:43:41 -0400

Hi Wilbert,

Nice to see you here, welcome!

Oh, I haven't seen a HW-101 in more than 20 years. I began my ham career
using a Yaesu FT-200 and a friend of mine, SM4OTI, had a HW-101 then.
I remember trying to work hf packet on the FT-200, strange that I could
make that work. It drifted a lot and I used a PK-88 TNC that lacked a
tuning indicator, I had an fft scope running so I could manually try to
track the other station and compensate for the drifting. That brings
back memories :-)  If you use such an old rig with pskmail then you will
probably run into issues where it drifts off frequency.

Regarding the LiveCD and installing to harddisk I omitted that on
purpose. The reason being that if I keep it as a LiveCD only then it
will not affect the host PC in any way. If I include the installer then
murphys law will create problems with partitioning and formatting
someones HD. It was a defensive move.
But, I have received several questions regarding this so you are not
alone. Sergey, RV3APM, also wanted to install it.
I can include the installer in the next release!

The soundblaster card, ISA, should work if you use sndconfig. I'm not
sure if that is included on the cd (will have a look). On a real install
of Mandriva you would have to "install" the card by using sndconfig
anyway.I don't think there is any problem regarding that card, I have
one in the junk box and I have used that with Mandriva before. The
problem could be that its not always auto detected and set up (as it is
an ISA-card).

73 de Per, sm0rwo