[pskmail] Re: Hello all

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 23:26:01 +1100

Hi Steve,

It is great news that you are interested in setting up a PSKMail server. It
was feeling a bit lonely to be the only station in Australia. Especially
considering the value of such a system here with vast spaces without mobile
phone coverage and our sparse population outside the coast.

So if I can be of any help do not hesitate to contact me. You can do so by
email at: vk2eta at gmail dot com.

I live in Merrylands near Parramatta, so we can get in contact on VHF/UHF or
HF depending on where you are or alternatively phone.

Good luck and let me know how you are going. I am  happy to perform some
tests too with your station.

I am away from home this week but I can use my mobile station if required.
Next week I am overseas so no radio then.

In regards to pointers there is not that much. When you are setup we can
test and check that it's all working. It is pretty straightforward once you
start using it.

There is one thing I believe I had to change and that is the handling of
negative latitudes for the unproto position reporting. I will dig in the
code as I think I had to modify it.

Also I would recommend starting the tests with the psk modes before trying
others. Personally I find psk125 to be a good test speed (fast enough but
still sensitive enough), but that is very personal and it depends on the QRM
at your station.

I will update my station details on the pskmail website to reflect the
current modes and frequencies.

All the best,

73s, John