[projectaon] Re: Wolf's Bane Clarification

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:21:05 -0700

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 23:41 +0200, Ingo Kloecker wrote:
>
>> I'd like to think of this fight as a bare-handed fight in which the
>> standard rules for bare-handed fight do not apply, and thus I suggest to
>> leave everything as it is.
>
> Im happy enough to go along with this suggestion (ie leave it as a fight
> in which the bare-handed rules do not apply).
>
> However, i think the main point is that readers are likely to be
> confused - after all, someone did raise this so at least one person is
> confused. I think our options are:
> 1) do nothing
> 2) add a footnote to clarify that the bare-handed rules do not apply
> 3) minor alteration of the text to clarify
>
> In terms of point 2) maybe we could make (or find) a section in the
> Readers Handbook that says "only use the rules for bare-handed combat if
> specifically stated in the text" and have the footnote refer to that. we
> could then specifically list this section (and any others that could be
> confusing) and our recommendations.
>
> My preference would be 1) or 3) although I would not be opposed to
> adding a section to the Reader's Handbook to clarify specific
> problematic passages such as this.

Getting back to this (i.e. the problem with Wolf's Bane Section 276),
my feelings are that I can see where this would be a bit confusing but
we don't have anything authoritative enough to essentially change the
way this section is played. That's the niche footnotes should play.
The most I would feel comfortable with is something like the
following:

"This penalty does not appear to follow the standard rules where Grand
Masters who fight unarmed lose no COMBAT SKILL. It is not clear
whether this is intentional or whether it is an accidental use of the
rules for the Magnakai and Kai series."

The only thing that does, however, is point out that we realize it is
a bit confusing.