[projectaon] Re: Wolf's Bane Clarification

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:32:47 +0100

On 23/05/2012 22:21, Chris Neilson wrote:
On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 22:36 +0200, Ingo Kloecker wrote:
On Wednesday 23 May 2012, Simon Osborne wrote:

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/19wb/title.ht
m#sect276>

I would guess the text does mean that you are unarmed (and therefore
cannot make use of CS bonuses from Sommerswerd and (Grand)
Weaponmastery) throughout the combat, but it's not completely clear.
Might this require a footnote?

Why would this require a footnote. The text reads:

I think the lack of clarity is coming from the passage "You hurl it [th
breastplate] at him, hoping to buy yourself a few precious seconds in
which you can unsheathe your weapon, but the warrior bats it aside and
attempts to close his hands around your throat." which would imply you
are fighting bare-handed (because you havent bought the few precious
seconds to unsheath your weapon).

The "flavour text" is definitely what makes it somewhat confusing. I don't recall ever hitting this section before, so I read it 'cold' and found it confusing. Perhaps the only penalty is supposed to be the -4CS for not possessing Grand Weaponmastery, but whether you are armed or unarmed in this combat could be handled more consistently...or at least clarified that the only penalty is -4 even if you are, apparently, unable to unsheathe the Sommerswerd during the combat.

In any event, if its decided to treat this as a bare-handed combat
wouldnt it be better to alter the passage to make it clearer rather than
adding a footnote? ie "Fight this foe bare-handed. Unless you possess
Grand Weaponmastery, ...."

Yeah, I think I prefer that solution to a footnote, if we're sure that's what's meant.