[projectaon] Re: Erratum Query

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:35:01 -0700

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM, John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The way I understand it, the words, "God" and/or "Goddess" should only be
> capitalized if they are true proper names for the deities in question.
> Christians worship God.  Wiccans worship the Goddess.  In the case of the
> Lone Wolf cosmology, those words would not be capitalized, so the correct
> terms would be "Lone Wolf prayed to the god, Kai, for aid" or "Rune Blade
> thanked the goddess, Ishir, for his success."  Note that in the cases above,
> you do need to use commas due to an English rule whose name I cannot recall.

The name of the rule you're looking for is "apposition".

The complicating factor in my mind is that we capitalize things like
"the King" or "the Queen". We even mention God/Goddess in the Manual
of Style:

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/ManualOfStyle#personal-titles

This only pertains, however, when referring to a specific god or
goddess. The question is whether this should apply to a specific
pantheon (i.e. "the gods").