[projectaon] Re: Editor's Companion Submission

  • From: Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:57:29 -0800

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jonathan Blake wrote:

>> Perhaps in a footnote, we could say "Only turn to XXX if you have met
>> Captain Prarg at the Battle of Cetza." Is it really giving so much
>> away to mention his name? The pattern in the books is to keep the
>> identity of the person secret for a little bit longer, but is there
>> really a gameplay reason to do that here? Will the reader be put off
>> to get this tidbit of information here?
>
> I don't see that people will remember such an obscure meeting. Perhaps--and
> still only *perhaps*--if it was in the previous book; but five books
> previously? Why should anyone remember that?

I agree completely that it is unreasonable to ask this of the reader.
I am hoping that a footnote like I suggested would accomplish both
things: tell the reader that the text does not work correctly as it
stands (what you were trying to do), and give them an opportunity, if
their memory is exceptional enough that they remember this detail from
so many books ago, to fix the problem for themselves. If they don't
remember, then oh well, they'll be reintroduced to Captain Prarg as if
they never met. That's not a big loss.

> Still, in the interests of democracy, I'll go along with the majority.
> What's it to be?

Let's not repeat the Magic Spear incident. Democracy isn't everything
that it's cracked up to be. ;)