[project1dev] Re: Fwd: party members and recruiting

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Matthew Morgan <mmorgan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Guthrie <Mehakoi42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:10:16 -0400

Here is how I picture this working:

When you talk to someone, there will be an icon underneath the dialogue box
that will indicate that they are recruitable.  Clicking this box will
display a window that has an estimation of their basic stats (estimation is
based on perception/charisma, so if you're not very perceptive, the stats
could be off, like you might think someone looks weak and tehy are actually
strong or vice versa) as well as an estimation of their potential.  This
could either be a number (like 1-100) or represented by an icon or color.
Also there would be a selection like "recruit this person? yes/no" - if you
click yes then there would be a mini-game based on your alignment, charisma
and other stuff like maybe you helped the person on a miniquest and if you
do the mini-game correctly, then they are recruited!

Potential would play out like this...

the amount of skill/stat points you get per level is based on potential.
someone with high potential would get a random number between 1-30 stat or
skill points per level, someone with low potential would get between 5-15,
etc.  there would be different levels of potential, as well as maybe a
certain new party member might be a "sure thing" and get 20-30.  Those would
probably be the highest prized recruits... we could play with it a bit.
Also i think probably "potential" is also what would limit how much a
character can grow.  Like there would be a level cap for someone with low
potential where they would reach their peak ability and further EXP would
give no returns (or perhaps diminished returns... say like you recruit an
old man who is a master swordsman but he is at his level cap so he won't get
better, or maybe just a little better).

this system is something i am really into because i think it will make the
depth of party management and growth, part of the overall strategy of the
game.  if you're not convinced and have questions/doubts, I will definitely
be happy to go into it w/ further detail.  I think this is one of the things
that will really allow this game to feel "meaty" as well as make logical
sense from a world standpoint -- not everyone can be a great warrior, etc.
but every potential party memeber will have their own niche or maybe unique
skill that would make them appealing.

just throwing stuff out there, maybe you need a new recruit for one reason
or another (maybe we can have PERMANENT DEATH if a party member dies a
certain amount of times, etc.) and you have a choice between 3 in a town...

this is just a quick off the cuff example:

recruit 1 - young fighter
advantages: good potential, decent starting stats, low starting skills, high
health
disadvantages: not a great fighter right away, will never become an AMAZING
warrior, but will probably be "solid"

recruit 2 - old veteran swordsman
advantages: will be able to help the group right away and is immediately an
asset, decent stats and decent skills.  medium health
disadvantages: no potential to get better.  can't teach an old dog new
tricks.

recruit 3 - strange little girl
advantages: has a skill that cannot be acquired via normal leveling, ULTRA
high potential, could someday become a master mage
disadvanages: low health, stats and skills, will be semi-useless as a party
member until she develops

who do you pick??? the fighter who is "ok" now and good become very good,
the old man who is good now but will never be better, or the little girl who
is bad now but could become the greatest mage alive and has a skill that
can't normally be acquired?  the question is harder when you're going to
have to do battle against a boss soon, you have to weigh the risks with the
potential rewards, and also you have to remember maybe the little girl never
reaches her potential...